Posted by Guillermo Ziegler | August 24, 2011
Hace unos días, una lectora de nombre Silvia me envió por el enlace a la nota de CollegeGrad.com “Ten Tough Interview Questions and Ten Great Answers”.
[su_box title=”¿Buscas información sobre entrevistas de trabajo en inglés? No dejes de leer nuestras mejores notas sobre el tema:”]
[su_list icon=”icon: link”]
- Preguntas típicas de una entrevista laboral en inglés,
- Las 10 preguntas más importantes para las que no te pueden faltar respuesta,
- Videos para preparar la entrevista en inglés,
- El libro con más de 100 preguntas y respuestas para la entrevista laboral en inglés
Quería compartirlas con ustedes por que si hay algo que nunca está de más es saber las preguntas y respuestas para una entrevista de trabajo.
[su_list icon=”icon: question-circle”]
- Tell me about yourself. It seems like an easy interview question. Its open ended. I can talk about whatever I want from the birth canal forward. Right?Wrong. What the hiring manager really wants is a quick, two- to three-minute snapshot of who you are and why youre the best candidate for this position.So as you answer this question, talk about what youve done to prepare yourself to be the very best candidate for the position. Use an example or two to back it up. Then ask if they would like more details. If they do, keep giving them example after example of your background and experience. Always point back to an example when you have the opportunity.Tell me about yourself does not mean tell me everything. Just tell me what makes you the best.
- Why should I hire you? The easy answer is that you are the best person for the job. And dont be afraid to say so. But then back it up with what specifically differentiates you.For example: You should hire me because Im the best person for the job. I realize that there are likely other candidates who also have the ability to do this job. Yet I bring an additional quality that makes me the best person for the job–my passion for excellence. I am passionately committed to producing truly world class results. For example . . .Are you the best person for the job? Show it by your passionate examples.
- What is your long-range objective? Make my job easy for me. Make me want to hire you.The key is to focus on your achievable objectives and what you are doing to reach those objectives.For example: Within five years, I would like to become the very best accountant your company has on staff. I want to work toward becoming the expert that others rely upon. And in doing so, I feel Ill be fully prepared to take on any greater responsibilities which might be presented in the long term. For example, here is what Im presently doing to prepare myself . . .Then go on to show by your examples what you are doing to reach your goals and objectives.
- How has your education prepared you for your career? This is a broad question and you need to focus on the behavioral examples in your educational background which specifically align to the required competencies for the career.An example: My education has focused on not only the learning the fundamentals, but also on the practical application of the information learned within those classes. For example, I played a lead role in a class project where we gathered and analyzed best practice data from this industry. Let me tell you more about the results . . .Focus on behavioral examples supporting the key competencies for the career. Then ask if they would like to hear more examples. Enhance your career opportunities by getting the training you need, find top degrees and schools near you!
- Are you a team player? Almost everyone says yes to this question. But it is not just a yes/no question. You need to provide behavioral examples to back up your answer.A sample answer: Yes, Im very much a team player. In fact, Ive had opportunities in my work, school and athletics to develop my skills as a team player. For example, on a recent project . . .Emphasize teamwork behavioral examples and focus on your openness to diversity of backgrounds. Talk about the strength of the team above the individual. And note that this question may be used as a lead in to questions around how you handle conflict within a team, so be prepared.
- Have you ever had a conflict with a boss or professor? How was it resolved? Note that if you say no, most interviewers will keep drilling deeper to find a conflict. The key is how you behaviorally reacted to conflict and what you did to resolve it.For example: Yes, I have had conflicts in the past. Never major ones, but there have been disagreements that needed to be resolved. I’ve found that when conflict occurs, it helps to fully understand the other persons perspective, so I take time to listen to their point of view, then I seek to work out a collaborative solution. For example . . .Focus your answer on the behavioral process for resolving the conflict and working collaboratively.
- What is your greatest weakness? Most career books tell you to select a strength and present it as a weakness. Such as: I work too much. I just work and work and work. Wrong. First of all, using a strength and presenting it as a weakness is deceiving. Second, it misses the point of the question.You should select a weakness that you have been actively working to overcome. For example: I have had trouble in the past with planning and prioritization. However, Im now taking steps to correct this. I just started using a pocket planner . . . then show them your planner and how you are using it.Talk about a true weakness and show what you are doing to overcome it.
- If I were to ask your professors to describe you, what would they say? This is a threat of reference check question. Do not wait for the interview to know the answer. Ask any prior bosses or professors in advance. And if theyre willing to provide a positive reference, ask them for a letter of recommendation.Then you can answer the question like this:I believe she would say I’m a very energetic person, that Im results oriented and one of the best people she has ever worked with. Actually, I know she would say that, because those are her very words. May I show you her letter of recommendation?So be prepared in advance with your letters of recommendation.
- What qualities do you feel a successful manager should have? Focus on two words: leadership and vision.Here is a sample of how to respond: The key quality in a successful manager should be leadership–the ability to be the visionary for the people who are working under them. The person who can set the course and direction for subordinates. The highest calling of a true leader is inspiring others to reach the highest of their abilities. I’d like to tell you about a person whom I consider to be a true leader . . .Then give an example of someone who has touched your life and how their impact has helped in your personal development.
- If you had to live your life over again, what one thing would you change? Focus on a key turning point in your life or missed opportunity. Yet also tie it forward to what you are doing to still seek to make that change.For example: Although Im overall very happy with where Im at in my life, the one aspect I likely would have changed would be focusing earlier on my chosen career. I had a great internship this past year and look forward to more experience in the field. I simply wish I would have focused here earlier. For example, I learned on my recent internshipâ€¦ â€¦then provide examples.Stay focused on positive direction in your life and back it up with examples.
Creo que hay una multitud de datos y buenos ejemplos en esta nota que pueden utilizar. Muchas Gracias Silvia!
¿Qué les pareció la nota? ¿Agregarían algo? ¿Qué otros consejos tienen?
Las sesiones de Coaching Migratorio de Guillermo Ziegler combinan la consultoría migratoria tradicional con técnicas de entrenamiento y cursos en línea.
Están orientadas a jóvenes profesionales que buscan la asistencia en el proceso de aplicación a la residencia permanente en la Canadá anglófona de un consultor de inmigración reglamentado y con experiencia y que desean una mejor calidad de vida en un país donde sus hijos vivan seguros y accedan a educación de calidad.
Latest posts by Guillermo Ziegler (see all)
- El lento fin de una era - August 20, 2014
- Café de por Medio Temporada 5 - April 14, 2014
- Cómo elegir la mejor ciudad en Canadá para vos y tu familia - April 13, 2014